Tuesday, August 11, 2009

41.8 million gallons sold on Monday

Heat wave
Yesterday during loads of sunshine and 96 degrees of heat the Greensboro waterworks pushed out (sold for profit) 41.8 million gallons of water to its customers. (Unfortunately I do not know if there were any unusual events on Monday such as a burst water main, hydrant flushing, etc. that would have been included in that amount). Water use is down
Ten years ago during a similar heat wave Greensboro’s citizens and businesses would have used more than 50 million gallons in a day. What has changed to trim water use by 8 million gallons on a scorching day?
Two things have changed First, textile mills and other manufacturers have departed for Asia. A large industrial water user can easily gulp a million gallons of water a day. No more. Second, immediately after Randleman Dam was approved Greensboro hiked its rate on water used outdoors. The City had been selling irrigation water below cost to deliberately drop the reservoirs every summer and justify the Randleman Dam. That water rate hike changed everything. It now costs a small fortune to water your lawn in Greensboro. So irritated irrigators have curtailed their lawn watering. The result—more water in Greensboro’s reservoirs. Problem solved. Rampant lawn irrigation caused by the incentives Greensboro gave to water your lawn is how Greensboro dropped the reservoirs and falsely claimed it was running out of water. Greensboro refused to solve its "water shortage" because a fabricated "water shortage" was how Greensboro would argue for the dam. Simple. And it worked. Anyone with an ear to the ground in the late 90’s knew that textile mills and furniture plants would soon be departing. Yet Greensboro forecasted its future water needs as if manufacturing was here to stay (see CHART). Greensboro’s water forecast was a sham to get the dam. Look at the CHART. How in good conscience can the Greensboro news media hide this CHART from its readers and viewers? Shame on the media. The Randleman Dam scam is the biggest fraud in Greensboro’s history. Nobody cares to investigate it. In 1999 when I was fired for reducing water use (Doing my job) I prophesied that water use would continue to decline and that the Randleman Dam was not needed. Nobody believed me. Now ten years have passed and Greensboro needs less water today than it did in 1995 when the scam for the dam was forming. Huh? Yeah, I know it sounds crazy, but it is true. You would think that at least one local reporter would see my CHART as newsworthy. NOPE. After 15 months of posting stories that are chock full of incriminating evidence not a single news agency has contacted me. So, I have decided to bring this exercise to a close. I am finished…unless something new surfaces that I cannot resist. My blog is still attracting many new visitors even though I have stopped posting new stories. So, I will conclude but my essays will remain on the Internet for anyone who wants to read them. In closing, let me remind you just where we are with Greensboro’s grab for Randleman’s water. Greensboro is currently expanding its water supply by 75% while Greensboro’s water use has declined ever since 1995.
Greensboro still says it needs Randleman’s water, and Greensboro is lying to cover up its scam for the Randleman Dam. Eventually the truth will surface. Greensboro never needed the Randleman Dam. It all had to do with development, not survival. Follow the money….and follow the pride.

Thank you for reading. Please don't stop here.....

Mike J Baron Greensboro’s only Water Conservation Manager (1994—1999) August 11, 2009 OK, I cannot resist. I will make one final prediction:

I predict that Greensboro will use less water this year in 2009 than it used last year in 2008. In other words, water use will decline again this year.

The waterworks will tabulate that figure sometime during the first week of January 2010. You won’t see it published in the newspapers because Greensboro does not want you to know that water use is declining. I wonder why. And the news media does not want you to know that water use is declining. I wonder why.

No comments:

Post a Comment